[Sugar-devel] Ad-hoc network UI feedback

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Aug 21 16:15:09 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Sorry, late to this party, but I've finally got a recent build with Tomeu's
> Ad-hoc network support installed on 2 XO's here for testing (no luck with
> SoaS-on-XO-1 builds yet, but F11-for-XO-1 build 5 works well). OK... some
> quick screen grabs and discussion.
>
> Here's what it currently looks like for an XO:

> Hmmm... 2 grey circles... Hovering over both 'grey circles' shows this same
> palette:
>

> 1) Is it a bug that there are 2 'grey circles' showing the same "Create new
> wireless network" entry?
>
> 2) The empty secondary palette strips feels like a bug, like some text is
> missing. Should it be used to show the title describing the palette? Perhaps
> something like "Wireless network\nInactive" would be a good?
>
> 3) Showing grey device icons feels like the old NM bugs we used to get, and
> IMO is a bit of device icon design flaw going way back. Inactive/disabled
> network devices should be just simple white outlines, as per other devices
> when not in use.
>
> 4) Obviously a new icon for when in ad-hoc mode will help, I'll try to make
> a few mock-ups and see if any work out.
>
> Really great to see we have 'kids under a tree' scenario covered again in
> Sugar – big high five for Tomeu! :-) Looks like we might need to try to get
> some feature dispensation from Mr Release Manager to apply some polish now
> we are sliding into the feature freeze.

We needs to stay away from feature freeze dispensations as much as possible.

Release manager is a hard, thankless job!  And Simon is doing a great
job at it.  If something does not make it this release, it can mature
and make it into the next release.

The challenge is that in a project like Sugar, the _only_ authority
that a release manager has is the trust and respect he or she has
earned in prior releases.  That respect is earned though successfully
balancing that needs of individual developers (and their feature)
against the needs of the entire project.

david

Let's keep thinking about how to build the community, work flows, and
processes which enable us to double the number of new features we can
add each release!