[Sugar-devel] [OT] Bundles (was: Bundling libraries, RPMs?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Aug 18 11:44:14 EDT 2009

On 18.08.2009, at 17:18, Gary C Martin wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> On 18 Aug 2009, at 09:10, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> On 17.08.2009, at 23:34, Gary C Martin wrote:
>>
>>> For the Mac users, it's just "Drag this application to your
>>> application folder." Done, end of story. For the worst application
>>> offenders (and there are some, usually some of the big corps who can
>>> get away with it) the user is asked for their admin password, but
>>> this
>>> always looks like shoddy, dodgy application development from
>>> developers who don't really know what they are doing on a Mac.
>>
>> Gary, this is highly unfair to Mac developers.
>>
>> Self-contained bundles can be installed just by drag-and-drop
>> indeed. But you need an installer (which might ask for an admin
>> password) to integrate with the system, e.g. to install QuickLook
>> plugins which generates previews for your documents, or SpotLight
>> for indexing. And obviously the "big corps" do define their own
>> document types, and want them to integrate with the system. Users
>> expect them to.
>>
>> E.g., Etoys needs an installer on the Mac to put its web browser
>> plugin in the right library folder. It does nothing "evil", the
>> main app could as well be installed by drag-and-drop, but we can't
>> expect everyone to manually install the plugin. Also, the plugin
>> needs to know where to find the app so we must require the app to
>> be installed into /Applications. And once we have a QuickLook
>> plugin we will need to install that too. Now you may call Etoys
>> development "shoddy and dodgy" all you like, but please blame it
>> for its actual faults.
>
> Hmmm.... Sorry Bert, but pretty sure everything you mention above
> (QuickLook, SpotLight indexing, file document types/icons, web
> plugins) for can go in the users ~/Library with absolutely no need
> to request admin permissions for the whole system (affecting all
> users).

Not if an install for all users is what you want. Like when Dad
installs this on the family Mac for his kids.

> I agree you might want to use an installer rather than drag and
> drop, though first run of an App could put these extras in place as
> needed.

Each user installing a separate copy of the plugins in her home
directory does not exactly sound clean to me. It's certainly not
recommended by Apple - their policy is drag-and-drop for simple apps,
installer for more complex ones.

> As for hard-coding a path to /Applications, you can ask the system
> to tell you the path to the application bundle, but if I remember,
> there are a few cases where even Apple slips up on this one (and I'm
> sure causes no end of bug reports and support calls for Apple when
> folks system upgrade after moving such an Application) – so I won't
> diss you too much for that hack ;-)
>
> Also as an alternitive, if you have control of the file format
> bundle, QuickLook previews and SpotLight indexes can also live
> there, though I understand that you'll likely want to keep with an
> existing cross-platform file format that can't take advantage.

Precisely.

> So I'd say Etoys could just be a single drag'n'drop Mac application
> into Applications folder (that does it's extras on first run, MS Mac
> apps do this quite a bit), or at the very least a regular package
> installer with no need for the admin password.
>
> Apologies for the off list topic reply.
>
> Regards,
> --Gary
>
> P.S. So, can I have a job now making Etoys truly Mac friendly ;-)

That would be wonderful! Join the etoys developers list at