[Sugar-devel] F11 for XO1 - Fonts

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 06:16:27 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> The approach I'm advocating here is that nobody is encouraged to mess
> with DPI (and Sugar does not touch this). Instead, Sugar ships a

I agree with dsd that users should not be able to 'tweak' DPI, but I
am also concerned that font sizes may be bumped up or down a bit for
the sake of the user. But not to very large values -- if a user needs
fonts to be significantly larger, we need to scale the whole UI for
that user.

The talk about setting different fontsize for XO vs non-XO worries me
-- the fontsize should be the same. IMHO. Here are my notes on why --

XO hardware has very odd perceived-dpi vs physical dpi. Technically,
we have 200dpi, and that's what X should render. In terms of
scaling-for-the-human-user readability tests tell us it's 134/133 dpi.

If we have both 'scale' and 'dpi' controls for the whole UI, then we
can drive both XO hardware and conventional hardware. We can say

 - XO screen: rendered DPI 200, scale 150%
 - Conventional screen: rendered DPI 72, scale 100%

This is what currently happens in Browse.xo / hulahop on 802, and
results in fairly readable and well proportioned webpages... that were
designed for the conventional 72 dpi "100% scaling" screens.

Are there similar mechanisms in X/gtk? If we can find (and use!)
those, then Sugar will do the right thing across hardware and Gnome
and non-Sugar sw will also scale more reasonably on the XO monitor.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions