[Sugar-devel] (Ab)using the Journal for stuff that the user didn't do, create, or access

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 06:55:09 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:46 AM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> I don't see where we disagree any of us, so maybe I'm explaining badly
> myself. Let me try again.
>
> I agree that the journal should be a journal, thus primarily about
> actions and events and not about static pieces of data or code.

You're right, and I got lost in the description of a more granular
Journal. Re-reading, it makes sense.

> And less directly related, I referred to a new view in the shell for
> the contents of the file system. This is not strictly needed by the
> journal concept but has been shown useful as a stepping stone between
> the journal and the underlying file system and for sharing files with
> non-Sugar systems. Having this view allows us to have a real journal
> without losing needed functionality.

That's excellent -- with Sugar becoming more usable on mixed-use
scenarios (where the user may access other desktop environments) such
as Fedora 11 and recent Debian&Ubuntu, and OLPC shipping an OS that
facilitates that switching, having a Journal that can go hunting in ~
is incredibly valuable.

(as is a gnome fs plugin for the journal :-) )

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions