[Sugar-devel] HTML 5 article and validator

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:53:25 EDT 2009

2009/8/11 Bryan Berry <bryan at olenepal.org>:

> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Offline_resources_in_Firefox
>
> it appears to be very specific to firefox

Yes, that's talking about JS access to Mozilla nsXyz interfaces.

However...

> http://dev.w3.org/html5/webstorage/
>
> It sounds like some browser storage solutions use SQL, which I want to
> avoid. SQL is really overkill for our purposes. I would prefer a simple
> key/pair storage that you could read and write to w/ js.

But HTML5 webstorage provides what you want, localStorage.setItem() /
getItem() , implemented in latest XULRunner and WebKit.
Mozilla's explanation: <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/Storage>
Apple's: <http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/SafariJSDatabaseGuide/Name-ValueStorage/Name-ValueStorage.html>

I tried Apple's example HTML and it works fine in Firefox 3.5, but not
in Browse in OLPC 8.2.0.
If you want to work in Browse in OLPC 8.2.0 (Firefox 3.0 equivalent) I
think you'd have to use Mozilla's non-standard globalStorage object.
I think SoaS and F11 for XO include a later XULRunner 1.9.2 that has
Firefox 3.5 features, maybe someone running those could try
http://www.skierpage.com/olpc/offline_test.html ?

Here's a summary of storage options:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1194784/which-browsers-support-html5-offline-storage

Hope this helps,