[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Aug 11 12:13:20 EDT 2009

2009/8/11 Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>:
>>> Hmm... so if other people join that network, and then I leave, does the
>>> network not persist?  I haven't experimented with this yet.
>>
>> yes, it will persist
>
> Really? My understanding of the ad-hoc network is that it basically
> puts the user that creates it wifi card into ad-hoc AP mode and that
> machine basically acts as a AP and link local IPs are used.

Yes, really.
As an IBSS station you are responsible for attempting to send 10
beacons every second (including randomized backoff timer), but
cancelling each one if you hear another beacon beforehand. Therefore
in a nice RF environment, one person is the beacon sender sending 10
beacons every second (the station with the fastest clock) and the
others continually cancel their own beacon transmissions just before
they are about to transmit their own.

When the beaconing station goes away, in theory the person with the
2nd fastest running clock sends a beacon and then continues. the other
stations in the set hear that and keep synchronized.

Daniel