[Sugar-devel] [Design] Ad-hoc networks - New Icons

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Aug 11 07:03:19 EDT 2009

On 11 Aug 2009, at 11:21, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> On 08/11/2009 11:50 AM, Daniel Drake wrote:
>> 2009/8/11 Simon Schampijer<simon at schampijer.de>:
>>> I think it would help, to have a new icon for the ad-hoc network to
>>> distinguish them. Could be a badged wireless network one? Or is
>>> the mesh
>>> icon appropriate? Or something completely new?
>>
>> I think new icons would be best, to distinguish from the mesh. I
>> think
>> we can expect mesh support again soon ;)
>
> From the user POV they are the same I guess. A local network, that
> does
> not need any infrastructure.
>
> Though, the mesh on the XO is handled automatically, the ad-hoc
> network
> requires user interaction to create it. I wonder if we ever will see a
> user using both (not at the same time) on the same machine. To think
> about the visual clash, at least.

I do wonder if the ad-hoc network should actually be being auto
magically created, if the owner is not associated with an available
AP, much like the mesh was. We would agree a standard network name (as
did olpc-mesh), that way there is a minimum of user required
interaction and any Sugar users in range would auto connect to the
same network for collaboration.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Apologies, I've not yet seen any of the current UI solution from
Tomeu other than some screen shots, as most of my testing is in a VM
that does not emulate wireless networks. Is this new feature exposed
in the device frame, with an always visible ad-hoc device icon?