[Sugar-devel] New activity: Arithmetic.

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 01:43:27 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM, Christoph Derndorfer <
> christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> * there should be some sort of start button to get the quiz started, I
>> felt quite an adrenaline rush when I started the activity and saw the clock
>> ticking away immediatedly
>>  * there seems to be quite an issue with syncing collaboration because
>> initially the activities on both virtual machines were off by maybe half a
>> second or so but after leaving them running for 10 minutes the difference
>> had increased to more than 6 seconds.
>>

> * one funky bug that I discovered by chance is that Arithmetic doesn't seem
> to know how to deal with two players with the same name. Both my virtual
> machines happened to be called "Christoph" and while collaboration works
> just fine there's only one player being listed who gets all the points
> regardless of which of the two VMs I use to solve the questions. (Anybody
> know how other activities deal with this issue?)
> * another interesting observation I made is that when user B connects to a
> shared session by user A the player list on user B's screen initially only
> lists himself whereas user A's list is quickly updated to list both players.
> It is only after user A answers a question correctly (a wrong answer won't
> do that) that his player information shows up on user B's list. That however
> only seems to happen with the first two players because if a user C then
> joins the session the player list on his screen accurately contains the
> information about the other players.
> * another issue is that the player list isn't updated to reflect that a
> player has left a session. So if user A initially plays with user B but user
> B later leaves the session the player list doesn't remove user B's
> information. When user C subsequently joins the shared session though he
> only see's user A as being an active player.
> * one seriously awesome bug is
> that one can repeatedly hit ENTER on a correctly solved problem during the
> remaining time until the next question is posted to quickly increase one's
> score;-)

Okay, one last message and then I really need to get back to work...

* There seems to be an issue when a user B who had previously joined a
shared session by user A ends that session and then later tries to rejoin
that session. Arithmetic then gets stuck at the "Joining shared activity"
screen and while the network view indicates that user B has indeed joined
the activity it never moves to a state where it can actually be used.

Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews