[Sugar-devel] Collaboration with Jabber on Sugar

Dave Bauer dave.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 13:20:57 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Russell
Brown<misterruss at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm a total newb to this but I am keen to try and figure out what is
> happening with Jabber/Sugar collaboration. Is this list best to post
> or the XS server list?
>
> Specifically what I am seeing is general unreliability. Sometimes when
> I launch a bunch of Sugar VMs and some physical machines I get nice,
> seamless collaboration. But often I have to restart some sugar
> instances at least once, sometimes many times, for them to register on
> the Jabber server.
>
> Next, when they are all registered, some Sugar instances show the
> other Sugars in the network very rapidly. Some NEVER seem to see the
> new members. The same goes for leaving members. Is it something to do
> with the order they joined, maybe?
>
> Is it possible to watch the XMPP messages (is there some debug setting
> for the Jabber client in Sugar?)

You can use the Analyze activity
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4200

After installing Analyze, start it up. Click on the Interfaces tab
then the XO icon. There are resizable horizontal panes with various
useful information. It should give you some data to debug some of
these issues.

Others have also experienced these intermittent problems with
collaboration. We need some comprehensive testing with data to track
down the problems.

Dave