[Sugar-devel] F11 for XO1 - Fonts

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Aug 4 04:24:39 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:08, Daniel Drake<dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> 2009/8/4 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
>> Ok, what do you propose?
>
> A method to specify the font size (measured in points).

What font size would be that?

> This should be geared towards deployments, so it should be something
> that can be pre-set in global configuration, or customized through
> files that are not in conflict with files provided by packages. That
> way OLPC can provide a configuration which just sets size 7 or
> whatever.
>
> And if there is interest in exposing this to the user, I would say it
> should be kept as simple as one button that makes the fonts get
> bigger, and another button that makes them get smaller. Those buttons
> would not mess with DPI, they would just increment or decrement the
> font size.

I guess we should, for improved accessibility. And would be convenient
if the paddings, line widths, icon sizes, etc also scaled accordingly
(may not be possible with current gtk+).

> I'd be happy to write that into a ticket if you don't hate the idea :)

I don't hate it in itself. But I need to know better why using Xft.dpi
is not a good solution (real technical disadvantages) and which
mechanism uses gtk+/gnome so we can reuse their work there.

Thanks,

Tomeu