[Sugar-devel] SoaS Beta (0.84) in qemu

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 16:28:33 EDT 2009

After I found that Turtle Art is broken in the latest SoaS image, I
went back to the earlier beta and ran it in qemu. I now have what I
need to start serious work on using Turtle Art to teach math.

For anybody else who may be interested, here is one way to do it on
Ubuntu Intrepid or Jaunty, assuming that you have a recent processor
and a recent Linux kernel. Package names and installation procedures
vary among other distros. Further details at [[Qemu]].

Install qemu and kvm (kernel accelerator for qemu) packages: apt-get
install qemu kvm

(I have a directory where I keep various .iso and .img files.)

Change to a suitable directory: cd ~/dev/ISOs+imgs

Download the soas beta image there: wget
http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/releases/soas-beta.iso

kvm -M pc -m 512 -cdrom ~/dev/ISOs+imgs/soas-beta.iso -net nic,vlan=0
-net user,vlan=0,hostname=emu -boot d

Networking Just Works[TM].

You can convert the read-only .iso to a read-write image with

qemu-img convert -O qcow2 soas-beta.iso soas-beta.img

where qcow2 is the qemu Copy-On-Write format, which also supports
image compression, encryption, and other features.

Now I need to find out how to convince Sugar to save changes to the image file.

kvm -M pc -m 512 -cdrom /home/mokurai/dev/ISOs+imgs/soas-beta.img -net
nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0,hostname=emu -boot d

You can add other hard drive and USB drive images, and various other
emulated hardware.

And Children are my nation.