[Sugar-devel] Kartik - internship outside GSoC

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 14:05:54 EDT 2009

> Regarding my interests, it has always been towards networking and as much
> away from UI as I can :).  The areas I am interested in working includes
> communication or any other background improvements sugar requires. I was
> particularly impressed by Groupthink because it solves a core problem for
> sugar and I will definitely like to do some thing of this sort
> (research+implementation). I guess a lot of work will be done on Groupthink
> as a part of this year's Gsoc. Another research oriented project I found
> here <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/ProjectIdeas> is the "Toolkit
> for dissimilar activity collaboration" idea. Can someone please update me on
> this and whether this will be an appropriate project to start for me and if
> I will have a mentor to assist me on this (high priority).

My own, completely personal opinion on dissimilar activity collaboration is
that it is a solution searching for a problem. I understand that there are
real use cases, but I haven't seen one that's nearly as compelling as the
viral-activity idea (idea 2 of the ones I sent). This is just me commenting,
I hope that others with opposing viewpoints will also comment.

As to Groupthink, I think that it would be ill-advised to try to force you
and Bemasc to work together without a very clear delineation of
responsibility which minimizes dependencies. I also think it would be very
hard to draw such a line, though you're welcome to prove me wrong on this
latter point.

> Regarding the two ideas listed in the earlier mail I will be more inclined
> towards the second one, but my priority will go towards the one I mentioned
> above. One thing which I will prefer to be their in my project is that it
> should fall completely within Sugar and will require less dependence on any
> other organization. Please take this factor in consideration too when you
> comment on any project idea.

I think that the viral activity idea could be a good fit for you. It
certainly looks as if it falls entirely inside Sugar, relying on only
existing functionality from Telepathy.

> Thanks for this gesture, I seriously appreciate this.

The least we could do, in the circumstances.

Jameson