[Sugar-devel] SoaS on XO issues for discussion

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Apr 24 04:47:06 EDT 2009

Martin,

Thanks for your feeback.

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:27:34AM +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> > * Should an olpc-update-like mechanism be supported?
> [olpc-update is good because it's more robust than the alternatives]

Robustness and the fact that "hold down this key during boot to go
back to a known-good* state" is a really nice feature.  This does make
me think olpc-update has a lot to add.  However

1) it's non-live-USB-specific (I was going to say XO-specific, but...)
2) it's going to require boot-time logic significantly more complex
than a distro's default
3) it's going to be useful only with run-time infrastructure (a server
to host the updates, etc.)

This might be a good place for for-profit organisations to get
involved for deployments that want to deliver updates and / or have a
more robust way to deliver Sugar.

> cheers,

Martin

*  for all practical purposes