[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Resuming Snapshot Creation

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Apr 24 04:31:55 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:10, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2009, at 22:37, Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> after our most recent beta release, we've now a new image ready for
>> you!
>> This is the first of a number of snapshots on our road to another real
>> SoaS release. Links to the iso image, as well as the archive with the
>> appliance are provided below.
>>
>> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/snapshots/2/Soas2-200904231400.iso
>>
>> http://download.sugarlabs.org/soas/appliances/soas2-20090423.zip
>>
>> Note that this is heavily 'work in progress'. Here are the news:
>>
>> * It's now again based again on Rawhide, as we move on.
>>
>> * The Labyrinth, Paint, Record and TamTam activities have been
>> included.
>>
>> * Further news regarding an easier process of gathering feedback on
>> system configurations is coming up. Please stay tuned!
>>
>> We've also a number of known issues in this snapshot:
>>
>> * etoys needs to be rebuilt to get sound working.
>>
>> * the tamtam activities still need to be fav'ed.
>>
>> Currently, early plannings for the upcoming release are taking place.
>> Please give this image a try and report the issues you come along.
>
> Hi Sebastian, just some quick feedback.
>
> OK managed to boot the .vmdk here on a Mac (VirtualBox), seemed a
> little more painful than previous ones I've tried. Odd Sun licensing
> page and account/password user registration, then lot's of errors, but
> booted after that into the Gnome login and then into Sugar.
>
> Regarding activities, all I'm only seeing Pippy-25, Calculate-28,
> Jukebox-8, Chat-65, ImageViewer-7, Write-63, Terminal-25,
> TurtleArt-41, Browse-108, Read-66, Log-18, Etoys-100. Perhaps the
> screed of errors I got at first boot were failed bundle installs
> (sorry, was on auto pilot and just clicked past without reading)?
>
> Pippy launches but is still unusable as it's missing all buttons and
> all examples due to broken font size or layout.
>
> In the 800x600 default resolution I was presented with, activities
> like Write with more than 5 tabs, I didn't realise that tabs had no UI
> fallback if there was not enough horizontal space (vs. toolbar buttons
> that get a drop-down "v" menu with any overflow buttons). I'm sure
> this breaks a few other activities. FWIW 800x600 is too small for
> Sugar in many UI places, quite a fixer-upper job if serious intention
> is to play well at 800x600.

I suspect you are using SUGAR_SCALING=100 and need to use 72 instead.
Chema's patch at http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/39 would have set it
for you automatically, but I would like to find a solution that took
into account both the screen size (in pixels) and the dpi. Maybe we
could calculate the size in mm and use that instead?

http://dev.sugarlabs.org/ticket/797

> The other activities I saw present launched fine (though most were
> unpleasant at 800x600).
>
> Access to the network worked (surfed in Browse) and I could see folks
> on the default jabber server.

Thanks,

Tomeu