[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] 3D engine uses in a no-nonsense GUI (was: XO Gen 1.5)

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Wed Apr 22 06:14:42 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:41, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:

>> Actually, GNOME 3.0 is moving into that direction (requiring OpenGL):
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/327845/
>>

> Hehe, seems like that I have just invented Clutter... :)
> More seriously, it seems that Sugar just runs ahead of Gnome and reinvents
> almost everything which will be created by Gnome people (or will not be
> created since that article was just a plan). Do you feel comfortable that
> your efforts will not go into Gnome 3.0, or is there something I do not know
> about?
> Journal = GNOME Zeitgeist
> Karma = Clutter minus the OpenGL acceleration
> Sugar = "social desktop"
> etc

Not sure about Karma being similar to Clutter, but in GNOME 3.0, apps
are called activities ;)

I feel very comfortable with this outcome. Sugar is "selling" well
because isn't really competing with Windows and OSX for their
customers, as it offers educational value that their possible rivals
don't bother to invest into. Sugar has been created with very little
resources and works well even if it's not polished enough, for the
uses we care most about. Adult G1G1 users, for example, can install
Fedora and I'm fine with that.

GNOME needs to compete in the mainstream consumer market, so they need
to stay in the edge of market tendencies and provide some innovation
at the same time. but they need to do so focused on the general user
(cannot focus on the educational uses of their technology, for
example).

So we are going to see more resources invested in GNOME, not only
companies like RedHat, Intel and Nokia, but also an army of
itch-scratching hackers. In the last few years awesome advances
happened on GObject introspection, API streamlining, consolidation of
system-level functionality in desktop-neutral D-Bus services, etc.
while paving the way for GNOME 3.0. Sugar has profited from many of
these advances and we hope keep doing it for the next releases.

In the medium term, we could see Sugar becoming just an "activity
manager" replacing Gnome-shell while reusing the rest of GNOME 3.0, or
being just a set of activities, applets and UI theme on top of plain
GNOME 3.0. Who knows, in any case we don't really need to do much for
now, just see how things move in GNOME land and try to get the maximum
profit out of it.

Regards,

Tomeu