[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] USB stick has to be labeled FEDORA when using Boot Helper CD, persistent storage not used

Ton van Overbeek tvoverbeek at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 21:38:35 EDT 2009

When using the latest Boot Helper CD
(http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/soas-boot.iso) the USB stick has to
be labeled
FEDORA, otherwise the boot hangs.
When you created the stick with liveusb creator and included a
persistent storage on the stick, this persistent storage
will *not* be used when booting via the CD (reason: the initrd from
the CD is used and it uses the USB stick as an
overlay, the extra overlay needed for the persisten storage is not
used, since the CD does not know the label/UUID
for the persistent storage file).

Any chance this can be fixed for the Boot Helper CD case ?
Should I file a ticket about this (no persistent storage when using
the Boot Helper CD) ?

I edited the SoaS wiki page and added this information.

With the Boot Helper CD and a properly labeled SoaS USB stick I was
able to boot into Sugar on my Windows XP virtual
machine in VMware Fusion on my brand new Macbook Pro.

Ton van Overbeek