[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Feedback on SoaS

Carol Farlow Lerche cafl at msbit.com
Sat Apr 18 11:05:07 EDT 2009

Regarding content, the advantage of the local "homepage" in the XO-1 browser
as shipped from OLPC is that content is there in an understandable way even
if the network doesn't work/isn't available.  As compared with finding
content in the journal, it is easier to tell what and why the content might
be interesting.  It really seems wrong to me to put all eggs in the journal
basket for new users.  I know that the journal is much loved by the sugar
afficianados, but it actually is pretty opaque to a new user.

Regarding infoslicer, I think so much of sugar activities is math and
science oriented, it is great to see a way that a teacher might create
simplified content for kids to read.  I hope, btw, that Infoslicer is
enhanced to, for example, take as input an epub book, allowing someone to
easily work on and produce a simplified version.    There is a dearth of
open content suitable for emergent readers.

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 6:57 AM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:

> See http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Roadmap/Home_View
> <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Roadmap/Home_View>
> --Fred
>
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Sebastian Dziallas <sebastian at when.com>wrote:
>
>> Let me add some thoughts here, too...
>>
>> > If its not too hard to change I think we should set up a wiki page where
>> > we can discuss what should be in the favorites rings and potentially
>> > update the image fairly regularly.
>>
>> This is what I've tried to get off the ground several times, for example
>> here (without getting a reply):
>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-February/012303.html
>>
>> It admittedly concerned the list of included activities, and not only
>> the ones in the ring, but it clearly went in the same direction.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it." -- Upton Sinclair