[Sugar-devel] UI mockups for version support in Journal

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Apr 16 21:10:58 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Sascha Silbe
<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've just finished two UI mockups for basic (!) version support in the
> Journal.
> The first one [1] shows just a "previous" and a "next" button like discussed
> on IRC. I've recycled the BackBar (with hover effect on the buttons instead
> of the bar) for that since it seemed to be a good fit (it's a kind of
> "navigation bar" now).
> The second one [2,3] modifies the date field to be a combo box, like shown
> in Journal Designs #12 [4].
>
> I actually like the second one better, though it's not as obvious - but
> combo boxes usually encourage playing with them, so it will be discovered
> sooner or later. Seems like a nice tradeoff.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
>

> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Journal-version-mockup-1.png
> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Journal-version-mockup-2.png
> [3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Image:Journal-version-mockup-3.png
> [4] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#12

The first screen is an interesting alternative. I agree with Walter
that, at the least, the version nav should be separated visually from
the back button. In any case, I still lean in the direction of the
second option, since I don't think we need to expose this more
prominently, and because it's really useful to be able to jump to any
given version directly.

And with that, a here are a few notes which might improve the popup
menu itself (I can't seem to find our earlier mockups of this, or I
would have attached them. I'll keep looking).

1. The dates should be ordered with the most recent at the top, to
mirror the list view of the Journal, keeping time flowing in the same
direction.
2. We proposed putting star icons at the left of starred entries in
the list, making it easier to identify "useful" or otherwise important
versions amidst a potentially long version history at a glance. (This,
of course, assumes versioned metadata.)

I'm so excited for versions!

Eben