[Sugar-devel] Print support, a few issues

Vamsi Krishna Davuluri vamsi.davuluri at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 04:39:15 EDT 2009

Hello,

Tomeu ( from his sugar maintainer perspective) has expressed a potential
disaster in the part-1 of my proposal, that is by using CUPS-Pdf we would be
actually required a great load of filters which would be a nightmare for the
maintainers. And also the issue to register each mime type with every
install of a new activity, for which we would have to wait till a new sugar
update.

As an alternative he suggested I use gtkprint (for which again I have
written a script and shown to tomeu),

So anyway gtkprint makes use of a structure which is rendered to cairo
objects and thus prints the screen as a pdf or prints to a printer ( a
wrapper around cups) but the advantage is we dont utilisie that many filters
again
( the implementation can be found in pyabiword )

But this would mean we do printing to device, and printing to pdf within
activity only.

For the moodle part, when in the print page, for the upload slots we limit
it such that it can only upload pdfs

OR
what I had been thinking is, make py xmlrpc communicate with moodle's
datastore, have a 'print to moodle' within the activity itself, and upload a
maximum of three parallel live requests..
if 3 reached, disable the option
The status updates of print requests and such can again be found in the
moodle's print's user's page.
The rest will be same as my proposal.

Martin, Jameson, suggestions and comments please..

Thank you