[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Progress on the Virtual Appliance

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Apr 11 12:13:52 EDT 2009

Hi folks,

I'm happy to report some progress over the weekend on the SoaS
appliance. Finally, it turned out that some live media bits were
accidentally included in the recent builds, which caused them not to
boot. This has been fixed and I can confirm it now to boot into Sugar
here. It's probably alpha quality right now and contains quite some issues:

* It runs firstboot when you start it for the first time. maybe we can
circumvent this? If not, we need a skin for firstboot.

* We can automatically download activities from a.sl.o and include them,
but they won't appear, as we can't link them to the /home directory,
because that get's created in firstboot.

* The current version does NOT work in VMware Fusion. This is a known
issue and will be fixed once we resume building.

So, please note: I just built this over the weekend to sort this out.
You can grab it nevertheless, but I wouldn't expect it to be around much
long after newer snapshots appeared on dl.sl.o.

Here's the link: http://people.sugarlabs.org/sdz/soas2-20090411.tar.gz

Thanks to all those who continuously tried the images!

To those who celebrate it, happy Easter!

--Sebastian