[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Requesting review for Sugar-gsoc application "Marbles"

Puneet Girdhar puneetgirdhar.iiit at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 03:54:21 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Puneet Girdhar <puneetgirdhar.iiit at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:16 PM
Subject: Requesting review for Sugar-gsoc application "Marbles"
To: "Google Summer of Code @ Sugarlabs list" <gsoc at lists.sugarlabs.org>
Cc: Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com>

Hi all,
       After Jameson encouraging support, I think I should discuss my
proposal "Marbles" with you all once again.

*Marbles*
      Marbles aim to build a UI Designer/Creator tool for sugar . The Tool
would allow users to drag and drop widgets. Edit the widgets and their
properties and also to create custom widgets. The Tool can also be used to
connect actions to various signals from the user via the UI and will finally
generate code which can be run directly. It can be written either in Wx or
Qt making it platform independent. And the generation of code can also made
to work on any platform. In short, it would be a stripped down but effective
version of Glade ported to sugar.

*Design Approach*
    It's a UI builder tool for creating UI applications. Detailed discussion
on this can be found at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marbles#Basic_Design_Principles.
I have also considered to use existed UI builder for sugar . Here are my
results/findings
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/user/chasedspeed/marbles.

*Benefits*
     1. Promote healthy brain development
     2. Preparing young children for digital programming enviroment.
     3. Boost child learning process and success.
     4. Support for developers for future advancements ( like addition of
widgets, events etc. )

Sugar Wiki-Link : http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Marbles

Once again, Thank you jameson for bringing my proposal to review. I would
like to request all community members to go to the sugar-wiki page and give
valuable comments/ suggestions . Your feedback will help me to remain
positive.

Thanks,
Puneet

--