[Sugar-devel] accessibility

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Apr 9 13:01:43 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Andrés Ambrois <andresambrois at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> - adding some way to do CAPS LOCK! I read in this [2] olpc wiki
>> discussions that the caps lock key was proposed for removal for encumber
>> reasons. This seems odd to me, because most of the children I am working
>> with simply don't know small capitals letters!
>
> The idea, never implemented, was to do away with the Caps Lock key but
> not the idea of capital letters. We envisioned a Control Panel option
> that would set ALL character rendering in capital letters when
> enabled.

Another thought we once entertained (instead of making it a global
control panel setting) was to have a button for toggling CAPS in the
view toolbar of individual activities, which would not only interpret
input as caps, but also toggle existing content (web pages, pdfs,
etc.). A good technical solution for this approach wasn't found.

Eben