[Sugar-devel] Unified Objects (was Unified bundles)

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Wed Apr 8 02:20:58 EDT 2009

If I understand Wade correctly the one of the main purposes(at least) is not
hiding "content" bundles somewhere(for example in Browse's bookmarks)
..and I see your concern(for what reason we should create new entities
if there are lots of existed content - Gutenberg's texts, pdfs, etc)

..I was thinking a bit this morning :) and here it is proposal from my side:
Expand Unified Bundles to Unified Objects

Preamble.

Separation all objects on verbs and nouns can be failed in some cases -
and moreover it will be failed when sugar will be used for purposes that
sugar was designed for - Create, Reuse, Share.

This CRS scheme works(more or less at present) for content since we have
Journal to store objects, but what about Activities?

We should encourage people CRS theirs activities as well. Only one but -
current sugar cannot work with many versions installed. At the same time
this multi versioning is cornerstone of CRS activities since we have
(should have) many versions of one particular activity installed on the
same box. And these versions could include "home made" activities not
only "official" ones. User should have possibility to treat all these
versions(of one activity) effectively to CRS them.

Home View should mutate from "storage" of activities to Tags View of
Journal objects. It could have tags cloud and etc. Another Wade's idea[1]
could useful here.

Proposal.

To achieve this target, instead of inventing new versioning scheme in sugar
(in addition to Journal), I propose treat Activities as regular Journal objects.

Well, it couldn't solve multi versions issue for activities out of the box,
but I'm strongly for having *only one* storage for content versions and
activities versions(since we could treat current activity as a source(noun)
to produce new activity).

Benefits.

With this scheme accepted user will have unified interface to all
objects(and theirs versions) - content(generated by activities or
downloaded from the internet) and activities(downloaded, transfered from
friends and home made).

We could treat ASLO(Activity Library) as a Objects Library and encourage
people share theirs objects(not only activities) via
activities.sugarlabs.org(objects.sugarlabs.org? or library.sugarlabs.org?)

Returning to Unified Bundles vs. Gutenberg existed texts, we have no
conflicts at all - we could gain all these objects from Tags View
(former Home View) and open them by one click.

Any comments are welcome in ml or on [2]

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Wade/Ideas/Activity_Management#Annotated_Concept_Sketches
[2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Unified_Objects

--
Aleksey