[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] squashfs failure trying to convert SoaS to OLPC XO image format

Dan Krejsa dan.krejsa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:51:55 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to get SoaS working on a G1G1 OLPC-XO according to the
instructions at

  <http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Installation/OLPC>

using option 2 to get an image suitable for writing to NAND flash.

However, when I try to run

  sudo sh livecd-iso-to-xo.sh Soas2-200904031934.iso Soas.img

an error is reported when trying to mount LiveOS/squashfs.img
on /media/squashtmp.XXXXXX :

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop1,
       dmesg | tail  or so

/var/log/messages contains notices like this:

Apr  7 17:12:43 localhost kernel: SQUASHFS error: Major/Minor
mismatch, trying to mount newer 4.0 filesystem
Apr  7 17:12:43 localhost kernel: SQUASHFS error: Please update your kernel

and earlier

Apr  7 16:49:51 localhost kernel: squashfs: version 3.4 (2008/08/26)
Phillip Lougher

so I suspect a mismatch between the squashfs version that my (up-to-date)
Fedora 10 box's kernel supports and the squashfs version of
LiveOS/squashfs.img .

Is this a known problem, and is this method supported any more?

- Dan