[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [SoaS] Call for Testers (New Snapshot!)

Nate Ridderman nate.ridderman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 10:32:20 EDT 2009

 I tried it out on a Dell D830 after creating a USB stick. No major
problems. I'd like to compare it to a recent Soas1 iso I had been running.

- SoaS2 auto-mounted a Dell recovery partition (/media/DellUtilty) as a
flash drive. This really confused me at first, because SoaS1 didn't do this.
Neither image mounts the other partitions on my hard drive. The other ones
are ntfs, but the recovery partition is vfat (96 MB), so maybe this is the
difference. It would be nice if this wasn't mounted.
- The touchpad sensitivity is greater with SoaS2, which is a good thing...
the cursor was really slow before.
- SoaS2 seems to boot faster... cold boot to the home screen is 44 seconds.
- I don't see new branding, except in the browser (which looks nice). The
Fedora splash screen still shows up for a second on boot.
- Wifi (WPA2) works on both, which has been problematic in the past for me.
- As Caroline noted, The Maze icon is bigger than the others which causes it
to overlap with it's neighbors on the ring when there are 12-14 total
activities. Either the spacing between icons should be increased, or the
Maze icon should be reduced in size. The spacing is really at fault.

Overall, it seems much less buggy than SoaS2 was a few weeks ago. Nice work
to all involved!

Nate