[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2009 Proposal: Sugar Grane

Caroline Meeks caroline at meekshome.com
Fri Apr 3 16:28:41 EDT 2009

Hi,

The Sugar on a Stick vision is that students can use many different
computers.

Part of this vision is that sometimes, on computers that the school owns we
will have a sort of "core sugar" running and that we will get personalized
data from the stick. Right now we are calling these "boot-helpers" but we
probably need a better name.

Some use cases are as follows:

   - A computer is donated to the school with a request to wipe the hard
   drive. We wipe the hard drive and install a specialzied Linux (Fedora today,
   others also in the future) that just does the boot and looks for a USB for
   all the student files.

   - The school has a laptop cart of Mac ibooks. We install a Virtual
   machine of some kind (Virtual Box or VMWare probably) that does the same
   thing, it looks to the USB for student files.

Help towards this vision is certainly welcome. Can you tell us more about
what you want to do and what hardware you want to support and what
technology you want to do it with?

Thanks,
Caroline

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <
bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Eduardo Silva wrote:
> > just updated...
>
> """
>  The big difference with Sugar_on_a_Stick, is that we don't keep the OS in
> the storage device, sugar_on_a_stick uses an OS  very generic
>  and with grane we avoid that, both have different goals.
> """
> The technique is different, but how are the goals different?  The
> technology is irrelevant; what matters is the user experience.  Why would
> Grane provide a significantly better user experience than Sugar-on-a-stick?
>
>  """
>  Grane will work over Sugar and Sugar over a very customized OS
> environment for the running hardware. It will be designed to
> fast-switching between session around different
>  computers, computer just contain the Sugar environment and sugar-Grane do
> the dirty tasks. Also it will helps to do a hard copy from one
>  kid session to another Sugar environment if desired.
> """
> I don't understand this.  Note that you can also write proposals in
> Spanish, and we can help translate.
>
> --Ben

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove