[Sugar-devel] GSoC Proposal: Multimedia Broadcasting

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 18:09:28 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
> Agreed... which is why the correct solution is to use link-layer
> broadcast/multicast.  That way, the bandwidth usage is independent of the
> number of users, and only a single stream must be transmitted.  Farsight2
> already supports link-layer multicast UDP.  I don't think Icecast does.

Proposing broadcast/multicast over wireless is not _so_ obvious. It
causes non-trivial problems on both the 802.11abg protocol family and
802.11s.

So there is a lot of work to be done in figuring out how to use
broadcast frames over either type of wireless efficiently.

 cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions