[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2009 Proposal: Sugar Grane

Eduardo Silva edsiper at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:58:49 EDT 2009

> The Sugar on a Stick vision is that students can use many different
> computers.

Sugar Grane can use different Sugars :) , both solutions works at different
levels, both have advantages and disvantages. Are pretty much similar but
one covers the fast switching but it depends of computers already running
sugar.

> Part of this vision is that sometimes, on computers that the school owns we
> will have a sort of "core sugar" running and that we will get personalized
> data from the stick. Right now we are calling these "boot-helpers" but we
> probably need a better name.

That's pretty much what I'm proposing.

> Some use cases are as follows:
>

>    - A computer is donated to the school with a request to wipe the hard
>    drive. We wipe the hard drive and install a specialzied Linux (Fedora today,
>    others also in the future) that just does the boot and looks for a USB for
>    all the student files.
>

>    - The school has a laptop cart of Mac ibooks. We install a Virtual
>    machine of some kind (Virtual Box or VMWare probably) that does the same
>    thing, it looks to the USB for student files.
>

>    -
>
> Help towards this vision is certainly welcome. Can you tell us more about
> what you want to do and what hardware you want to support and what
> technology you want to do it with?

Any storage device, every one that is recognized as a "mass storage device",
no matters if is a hard drive or an pendrive/stick, but connected through
USB.

regards-

--
Eduardo Silva