[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2009 Proposal: Sugar Grane

Eduardo Silva edsiper at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:52:21 EDT 2009

"""
>  The big difference with Sugar_on_a_Stick, is that we don't keep the OS in
> the storage device, sugar_on_a_stick uses an OS  very generic
>  and with grane we avoid that, both have different goals.
> """
> The technique is different, but how are the goals different?  The
> technology is irrelevant; what matters is the user experience.  Why would
> Grane provide a significantly better user experience than Sugar-on-a-stick?

Grane will not provide a "better user experience" compared to
Sugar-on-a-stick as you said,
is a "different experience", i'm not discussing which is better because that
will be decided by the real
need of the kid for a specific moment.

Grane goals are fast switching between sessions, easy backup, you can have
your own laptop, save your data with
one click and resume your session easily in another sugar computer, no
reboots are needed, no have to deal with hardware
issues, because it runs on top of Sugar, sugar-on-a-stick is different and
runs on top of the direct hardware as it needs to launch the OS.

>  """
>  Grane will work over Sugar and Sugar over a very customized OS
> environment for the running hardware. It will be designed to
> fast-switching between session around different
>  computers, computer just contain the Sugar environment and sugar-Grane do
> the dirty tasks. Also it will helps to do a hard copy from one
>  kid session to another Sugar environment if desired.
> """

Just easy backup, transport and resume or hard copy the session to another
sugar env.

> I don't understand this.  Note that you can also write proposals in
> Spanish, and we can help translate.
>
> --Ben

regards.

--