[Sugar-devel] GSoC Proposal: Multimedia Broadcasting

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Apr 3 09:10:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:26 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Benjamin M. Schwartz
>> 2. Telepathy does not currently support multi-point conferences.
>> Collabora is working on it, but from what I hear it's not likely to be
>> ready by June.
>
> Add the fact that the PHY of the assumed network (for XOs and
> netbooks) is _wireless_.
>
> With telepathy or without it, multicast video is not something that is
> likely to work.
>
> I hate to be harsh on a GSoC proposal, but unless the proponent has a
> very solid plan on how to do the impossible over 802.11a/b/g/s, there
> is a solid wall that will be hit at some point.

Then don't be!  OLPC has spent years arguing about how various
solution will _not_ work.  How about giving the students a chance to
test their theories and develop an implementation.  Even if the
implementation don't work, they have still learned and Sugar Labs (and
OLPC) has still made progress.

david