[Sugar-devel] GSoC proposal: version support for data store and Journal

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Fri Apr 3 07:49:59 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 05:36:41PM -0400, Eben Eliason wrote:

> In all of our preliminary designs, we actually proposed that branches
> be flattened from the perspective of the user. That is, the most
> recent head of any branch in a tree is the "canonical version" which
> appears as the most recent entry in the Journal.
So you intended to display one version per branch, with intermediate
versions available from a details view?

> If you look at the designs on the wiki, you'll actually note that the
> date in the detail view is a popup.
Now you point it out I see it. :)
Interesting idea.

> Additionally, each version would appear in the list/timeline view of
> the Journal, so that you could just as easily scroll "back in time" to
> several days ago when you made the first version of a document, and
> resume that directly from there.
Hmm, I'm not sure I understand how this fits with what's said above...
Is the above for the non-timeline view or do you intend to "split" the
list and show only the latest version of each branch _per_ _buffer_
(buffer def. as in #8)?

[Version tree view]
> I'd probably recommend against this, both because I think there's far
> more work to be done to get this working smoothly than you might
> think, and because I don't think it's actually an important feature
> for kids.
To me, it's a very useful feature for debugging and should definitely be
there. Whether somewhere deep in the Journal or in a separate "Datastore
Explorer" activity is a separate matter, though.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/