[Sugar-devel] GSoC proposal: version support for data store and Journal

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Fri Apr 3 04:30:47 EDT 2009

Hi Silbe, first of all congrats on the proposal and second sorry about
the topposting.

What if your GSOC application focuses on the backend (datastore) and I
do the modifications needed in the UI?

The design team at OLPC (most of it are active contributors at SLs)
had thought quite a bit about how to expose it to the user and we even
had a prototype working on the first DS just before the first
"production-ready" version of Sugar was released.
At that point was decided that the versions work was too immature to
release and was put into the drawer, then the DS contract finished and
OLPC didn't paid again anyone to work on the DS so it entered in
maintenance mode until now (except the little time I managed to put
into it).

With this I mean that we currently have in SLs pretty good knowledge
of what needs to be done and we miss only someone talented that can
put a few months full-time on the backend. How does it sound?

Regards,

Tomeu