[Sugar-devel] Naming of XS host (was: Re: Local static page, final call for edits)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 04:17:22 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
> I like calling it just "school". I believe "school" is metaphorically
> exactly what you describe as "neighborhood", Caroline: The nearby
> location where learning experiences most often takes place.

My position is exactly what Jonas describes. To elaborate a bit more,
we have plenty of metaphors in use:

 - "Chat.xo' is a metaphor -- it does not involve talking or chatting
with anyone.

 - When we use computers, we refer to 'documents', (and on the XO,
journal entries) but it is, again, a fairly stretched metaphor.

 - The Journal -- is another metaphor.

So "school" is simple, will exist in every language, is short on most
languages (from the ones I know! :-) ), is broad/fuzzy enough that we
can shape its meaning.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions