[Sugar-devel] GSoC Proposal: Multimedia Broadcasting

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Apr 2 20:54:02 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Jameson Quinn <jameson.quinn at gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds as if your proposal is not so much an activity as the ability to
> screencast whatever you're doing on the XO, p2p. And it would be even better
> if the "watchers" had the ability to participate. Chris Ball has already

I've put some time into thinking about this idea from an interaction
perspective. It's a really exciting concept, and I'd be happy to
provide design help if needed!

They way I've envisioned it working is to add a "watch" option to
every shared activity (in addition to the usual "join" option), which
would allow precisely that...observing someone elses activity (just
that activity...not full screen sharing, which we might support by
adding a "watch" action to XO icons themselves, as well). I envisioned
making a composite icon for a "watch" session which wrapped the
activity icon in an icon representing the screen, and logging that
session in the Journal like any other activity. Finally, I envision
the watcher to have the ability to grab screenshots (or perhaps video
segments?) of the presentation, such that the resulting Journal entry
serves as a record of what they watched.

Eben