[Sugar-devel] Local static page, final call for edits (Re: [RELEASE] Browse-106)

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Thu Apr 2 13:22:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2009, at 17:16, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>
>> wrote:

>>> OK :-)
>>>
>>> Silly question, so I've added a link to http://schoolserver/ which
>>> will be a broken link unless you are in a school environment with a
>>> school server set to that name. Could distros (like SoaS, or XO
>>> targeted builds), change the resolution order through /etc/host.conf
>>> (maybe also /etc/nsswitch.conf) so that the check for schoolserver go
>>> first to a dns server? If that fails to resolve, a local host file
>>> entry could then try to go to the schools moodle server at
>>> http://schools.sugarlabs.org/
>>
>> We should really start referring to this as the "collaboration
>> server", especially if we're going to include it as a link available
>> in all distributions/environments. Ideally, we'd fall back to some
>> page which describes the benefits of having a collaboration server and
>> point to links for setting one up, if there isn't one available. I
>> have no idea how to do that.
>
> I went for "school", didn't really want the top right links turning into war
> and peace like some of our other pages have (wiki is especially bad, you
> need a wide screen to view them all!) ;-)
>
> So... Eben/Martin is it to be "school" or "collaboration"?

I'd definitely vote for "collaboration" myself, but I'll defer to
Martin. The general idea here is to prevent future confusion, since
the server needn't be tied to a school for any technological reasons.
That's certainly a prominent case, but these servers are being run in
many other contexts as well, and in the future, there may even be a
facility for selecting your collaboration server among several.

Although, thinking about this again, this wouldn't be a hard coded
value. This would be the server chosen in the network settings. So I
guess I'm confused about what this hard-coded url actually is. If it
really is something that's specific to schools with OLPC deployments,
then it shouldn't be part of the SugarLabs start page; it should be
part of the OLPC distribution only.

Eben