[Sugar-devel] [RELEASE] Browse-106

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Thu Apr 2 11:03:03 EDT 2009

On 2 Apr 2009, at 10:50, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 3:08 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com>
> wrote:
>> Sorry to rush on this, but barring objections, I get the feeling
>> this is
>> getting close to happening in the next 24hrs...
>>
>>  http://dev.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/645/simple_static_page_v3.png
>
> Objection! :-) Please re-add the link to 'Local Schoolserver'.

OK :-)

Silly question, so I've added a link to http://schoolserver/ which
will be a broken link unless you are in a school environment with a
school server set to that name. Could distros (like SoaS, or XO
targeted builds), change the resolution order through /etc/host.conf
(maybe also /etc/nsswitch.conf) so that the check for schoolserver go
first to a dns server? If that fails to resolve, a local host file
entry could then try to go to the schools moodle server at http://schools.sugarlabs.org/

Hmmm, I guess that's going to mess with browser cookies, but just
thought I'd raise the question.

I might look at some other old html tricks (but not for this release)
that could avoid the broken link. Some dhtml tricks might work hiding
the potential error page in a hidden frame and auto switching to the
public server URL if the local URL fails.

> BTW, did you mean to CC the list? We've dropped to a private thread...

Ooops, back on list.

--G