[Sugar-devel] Distributors mixing across Sugar branches (Was: Terminal v25 (attention distro managers!!))

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Apr 1 12:59:01 EDT 2009

On 1 Apr 2009, at 15:09, David Farning wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Also publishing the changelogs for each release would be good -
>>> currently they seem to be only sent in the release announcement
>>> mail.
>>

>> With the risk of writing stuff that you all know better than me
>> already, let me elaborate a bit on that:
>>
>> There is several levels of "changes".  In Debian we may have the
>> following, for each single software package:
>>
>>  * VCS commit notes, describing each atomic edit
>>  * Changelog entries, grouped per release
>>  * NEWS items about eventual major changes, grouped by release
>>  * Status pages, tracking newest events for each branch
>>  * Long description, describing the product in few sentences
>>  * Short description, describing the product in one line
>
> As our activity ecosystem matures, I think that we will want to focus
> on setting a method for activity developers to _opt in_ to joining the
> Sugar Labs release cycle.

Hmmm unless I've misunderstood, I actually think exactly the
opposite :-)

As our activity ecosystem matures, Sugar Labs should be arriving at a
more and more solid and stable Sugar platform, one that Activity
developers can build for with less and less worry about burning their
life away trying to work in, and develop for, an unstable Sugar
release, just because "it's the next one where we break your work
again."

If you're developing an Activity that relies on a bleeding edge new
feature, then expect to get broken and need to work right up to the
release wire. That's a very good reason for a core set of fructose
activities tied to the release cycle. They are the ones that have to
work well for a new release as they provide the agreed base line
utility, they can also lead the way on supporting new core features
that are getting rolled out (act as proof of concept for other's to
pick up on).

For mid to long term Activity development to be successful, we need to
free activity developers to be as far as they like from the core Sugar
Labs release cycle (by providing a stable activity platform). Activity
developers need to work to their own release time cycles. Without
this, very few activities will get to maturity.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. All the above is with the understanding that Sugar has not
reached version 1.0 yet (and I doubt it'll be there for another year),
so it's understandable that Activities will get broken from time to
time – but I like to think that is a short to mid term issue, and not
the Sugar Labs long term goal ;-)