[sugar] Any idea why ./setup fix_manifest should auto delete my locale directory?

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Mon Sep 29 04:41:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Now that I have a real po/es.po file, locale structures are auto
> generated and I can pretend the locale files don't exist from a
> development point of view (I think) :-)

Yup.

> The only other curiosity is the "./setup install" it seems to want to
> install in /usr/share/sugar/activities/ which seems a old (?) choice
> these days. I've just switched to using dist_xo to get a .xo, and then
> sugar-install-bundle.

install is actually supported and will continue to be. It's the way
rpms on standard distributions install activities currently.

> Ooh, I guess there are another couple of queries I still have :-)
>
> 1) I used the "./setup dev" to try the syn link for testing, for a
> while, but found it a risky approach. Several times the Sugar UI
> wouldn't allow me to erase said Activity (no errors, just the activity
> icon never went), at least once the UI wiped out all my source, and
> the rest of the time the UI correctly removed just the sym link . I
> just sugar-install-bundle now, it's safer :-)

Ouch, we should fix that. Can you open a ticket please?

The advantage of dev is that changes "autoapply". Obviously stuff like
the locale is not autogenerated, but it still it seem to be an useful
option.

> 2) I'm a git beginner, so "./setup release" has done 'wierd' things
> given my current level of understanding. Apart from failing early due
> to git, as I seem not to have told it correctly what branch I want to
> merge from, even though I only have master so far and have nothing to
> merge anyway (why is it doing a pull?). It 'kindly' auto created me an
> unstable branch (which took me a while to realise and remove). So I'm
> back to a manual workflow.

Weird I'm not sure how release would create a branch. How was the branch named?

But yeah, release needs love, it has been sort of abandoned for a
while. It's one of the things I plan to do before the first 0.83
release.

> It is nice that "./setup.py" on it's own gives some hints:
>
> Available commands:
>
> build                Build generated files
> dev                  Setup for development
> dist_xo              Create a xo bundle package
> dist_source          Create a tar source package
> release              Do a new release of the bundle
> fix_manifest         Add missing files to the manifest
> genpot               Generate the gettext pot file
> install              Install the activity in the system
>
> But the help goes no deeper, so it's just been trial and error from
> here on :-)
>
> Is there any more documentation/cheat-sheet hiding somewhere on this
> other than grokking the source code?

Nope :( This is one of the pieces of documentation that we really need
to write. A ticket to remind about it would be great.