[sugar] Any idea why ./setup fix_manifest should auto delete my locale directory?

Gary C Martin gary
Sun Sep 28 23:58:36 EDT 2008

On 19 Sep 2008, at 08:20, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> Gary C Martin wrote:
>> Any idea why running "./setup fix_manifest" should be auto deleting
>> my  locale directory? Seems a little mean spirited of it - doesn't
>> warn me  or anything.
>> --Gary
>
> Hi Gary,
>
> it does it because the builder removes the dir before creating the
> locale again. http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar-toolkit;a=blob;f=src/sugar/activity/bundlebuilder.py;h=baeb8b63a79fa57b17197e8561d8179e3357b57e;hb=6a5d0c837beb06e34493b809fab58a568fbf2051#l94
>
> We needed it to get rid of the pseudo.po in the locale. Are there
> any problems with it besides being bit ugly?

Thanks, I'm getting a better understanding now. What caught me out was
trying to pick-up the quick fixes made for the Peru bundle, where the
locale (I now understand) seems to have been manually created for
a .linfo file to live in ? so Activity names were at least in Spanish.

Now that I have a real po/es.po file, locale structures are auto
generated and I can pretend the locale files don't exist from a
development point of view (I think) :-)

The only other curiosity is the "./setup install" it seems to want to
install in /usr/share/sugar/activities/ which seems a old (?) choice
these days. I've just switched to using dist_xo to get a .xo, and then
sugar-install-bundle.

Ooh, I guess there are another couple of queries I still have :-)

1) I used the "./setup dev" to try the syn link for testing, for a
while, but found it a risky approach. Several times the Sugar UI
wouldn't allow me to erase said Activity (no errors, just the activity
icon never went), at least once the UI wiped out all my source, and
the rest of the time the UI correctly removed just the sym link . I
just sugar-install-bundle now, it's safer :-)

2) I'm a git beginner, so "./setup release" has done 'wierd' things
given my current level of understanding. Apart from failing early due
to git, as I seem not to have told it correctly what branch I want to
merge from, even though I only have master so far and have nothing to
merge anyway (why is it doing a pull?). It 'kindly' auto created me an
unstable branch (which took me a while to realise and remove). So I'm
back to a manual workflow.

It is nice that "./setup.py" on it's own gives some hints:

Available commands:

build                Build generated files
dev                  Setup for development
dist_xo              Create a xo bundle package
dist_source          Create a tar source package
release              Do a new release of the bundle
fix_manifest         Add missing files to the manifest
genpot               Generate the gettext pot file
install              Install the activity in the system

But the help goes no deeper, so it's just been trial and error from
here on :-)

Is there any more documentation/cheat-sheet hiding somewhere on this
other than grokking the source code?

--Gary