[sugar] rendering test

Benjamin Berg benjamin
Sun Sep 28 09:33:01 EDT 2008

Hello,

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 12:43 +0200, Riccardo Lucchese wrote:
> Besides this, I think the icon caching mechanism should be reworked:
> right now every icon has its own surfaces-cache and its svgloader. So
> that, if I'm not wrong, two icons showing the same svg (with same size,
> colors etc..) cache two distinct but identical surfaces in their
> _iconbuffer and cache two times the raw svg file contents in their
> svgloader.

The cached surface is shared between different icons (the icon buffer is
not shared). _surface_cache is a class variable, so that only one LRU
list for the surfaces is created.

> I guess best would be switching to have only one global cache (or
> not ? ;); perhaps a global cache clashes with using server side
> surfaces ? (see benzea's patches)

A shared cache would be great. One way to do it would be to share a
mmap'able file similar to the GTK+ icon cache file. But to create this
file, one will need to know the icon colors that should be prerendered.

More complicated would be to create a small service that uploads
rendered icons to the X server, and hands back the pixmap ID. That way
all applications could use one shared server side cache.
(The pixmap based sapwood GTK+ engine, used on the Nokia 770/8x0
devices, does this to save memory.)

Benjamin