[sugar] rendering test

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Sun Sep 28 09:03:17 EDT 2008

Hi Riccardo,

this is awesome, thanks a lot for taking the time to do it.

> - joyride regressed sensibly at rendering with cairo since 703

I have cairo 1.8 rpms compiled for joyride for some other reason.
Perhaps the regression is in X, but still I think it might be worth to
give them a try:

http://dev.laptop.org/~marco/cairo-1.8.0-1.fc9.i386.rpm
http://dev.laptop.org/~marco/pixman-0.12.0-1.fc9.i386.rpm

> - rendering pixbufs is extremely slow on the xo

We are not using pixbufs a lot in Sugar I think (right?). Perhaps
better to focus on cairo surfaces.

> - server side surfaces are awesome ;)
>

> Besides this, I think the icon caching mechanism should be reworked:
> right now every icon has its own surfaces-cache and its svgloader. So
> that, if I'm not wrong, two icons showing the same svg (with same size,
> colors etc..) cache two distinct but identical surfaces in their
> _iconbuffer and cache two times the raw svg file contents in their
> svgloader.
>
> I guess best would be switching to have only one global cache (or
> not ? ;); perhaps a global cache clashes with using server side
> surfaces ? (see benzea's patches)

Are you able to make sugar meeting this week? We could start
discussing a new design for the cache there.

Marco