[sugar] G1G1 Pre-installed Activities Request for Help, Testing

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc
Thu Sep 25 16:15:48 EDT 2008

Hi Sameer,

I don't see a lot of support yet (I had to look up innumerate in the
dictionary :-) but the Google spreadsheet has been very helpful for me.
I like to think I'm not innumerate but I can be obdurate.

I hope we keep using it and people can take what they want from it.

Each release that goes to manufacturing for G1G1 shipments needs to have
a set of activities pre-installed. Other deployments generally get to
pick which activities they want or they start with the default "G1G1 set".

The same is true of the libraries that you see on the upper left of the
opening Browse screen. I leave that area to SJ.

In the end, which activities get shipped is up to "the boss" but they
are open to suggestions and input. The one critical thing is that the
activity must be stable and well supported.

Aside from that we can make any suggestion we want and give a
justification for it as we see fit.

I need to find out how flexible we can be about adding or changing the
activities we ship when 8.2.1 goes to manufacturing. Assuming we have
some flexibility to change or add, we should start identifying the
suggested changes now.

I think the spreadsheet is a step in the right direction. If it can help
us uncover activities that clearly stand out from the pack that would be
very helpful in deciding the next set to ship.

FYI one thing I learned in this exercise is that activity authors are
available and interested in improving their activities for XO users. We
have a little momentum now so I want to revive the excitement in the
activity authoring community.

I'll follow up on that, after we finish the final regression tests of 8.2.

If all goes as planned, XOs will start rolling off the line with 8.2 in
six days from today!

Thanks,

Greg S