[sugar] alt-tabbing to the Journal

Robert Myers rmyers7
Thu Sep 25 13:32:33 EDT 2008

Tomeu,

>> Continuing down that path, I think that the launcher pane should be treated more as just another activity, and also be on the alt-tab ring. Maybe it should also have an icon on the frame.
>
>The launcher pane (or home view, as we call it) is part of the desktop
>window, that doesn't use to appear in other desktop systems (like
>MacOS). Which advantages would that bring?

The argument that I'd make is that, for example in the MacOS the finder serves as the point for opening documents and launching applications. We've split that functionality in Sugar. The Journal opens documents, the home view starts activities. But, IMO, it's just a special activity itself.

Let's take this, workflow as an example. I've got Browse and nothing else open, reading about something. I copy a citation I want to add to a Write document. If the document exists, I alt-tab to Journal, find the doc and open it. If it doesn't, I should be able to alt-tab around, notice that I don't have an existing relevant document, notice that Write isn't open, finally, alt-tab to the home view, launch Write with a new empty document, and paste.

Now to do this with special clicks, you need to click to open the Journal to check if there's a relevant document, then open the frame to check if you've got Write open already, then finally click on the home view to launch Write.

Bob