[sugar] alt-tabbing to the Journal

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Sep 25 11:54:24 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Robert Myers <rmyers7 at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Tomeu,
>
>>On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:26 PM, Erik Garrison <erik at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> A thought which has come up a few times in my exploration of activity
>>> switching performance, and a few times in conversations on the sugar
>>> list, is that the Journal shouldn't be included in the set of activities
>>> which can be alt+tab'ed to.
>>>
>>> The most compelling rationale is that there is already a dedicated
>>> button on the keyboard for it (F1).
>>
>>This comes up regularly and I think we have a ticket where people are
>>voting. I believe you can find the ticket if you search in this month
>>archives.
>
> Is this #6251? That's the only trac that I see that makes sense here.

Yes, this is the thread:
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-September/008577.html

> My 2c. Leave the Journal in the alt-tab ring. It's an activity. It just happens to be an activity that's always running. Think of the Finder on MacOS as a parallel example. Making it a special case that you have to use a special key to get to is more confusing than leaving it on the ring.

Yes, I think this is the main argument for leaving it in alt-tab.

> Continuing down that path, I think that the launcher pane should be treated more as just another activity, and also be on the alt-tab ring. Maybe it should also have an icon on the frame.

The launcher pane (or home view, as we call it) is part of the desktop
window, that doesn't use to appear in other desktop systems (like
MacOS). Which advantages would that bring?

Thanks,

Tomeu