[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

Walter Bender walter.bender
Wed Sep 24 16:36:00 EDT 2008

Erik introduced the Journal/datastore to this thread about modifying
the approach Sugar has taken to WM in order to better support legacy
applications, The Gimp being everyone's favorite example. I am simply
suggesting that the WM is--while not the least of our problems--less
of an issue than resolving incompatibilities between libraries (The
Gimp pulls in all sorts of stuff and Inkscape tries to pull in
incompatible libraries, such as an old version of poppler),
incompatibilities with where we'd like applications to write data (The
Gimp will stomp all over the filesystem), moving data to and from the
Journal (how do I open an image I took with Record in The Gimp? or use
a picture I edited with The Gimp in Memorize)? The fact that The Gimp
uses lots of little auxiliary windows is easily dealt with in, for
example, the X Activity. Making this seamless in Sugar seems, IMHO, a
relatively low priority relative to these other inconsistencies.

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs