[sugar] apis at 4%

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Mon Sep 22 11:11:35 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> What do you suggest?

If I understand your explanations correctly, the system already
support some kind of review workflow... could devs just get involved
into it?

> I can go back to filing bugs in the tracker or I can post patches to the
> mailing list.
>
> Generating the initial api documentation has an inherent tension.
>
> Nobody knows how to get starting writing the 1250+ blank docstrings in
> Sugar.  Hence, they have been sitting for empty.
>
> Following the theory of 'worse is better' we at least need to stub out
> the docstrings before others will join in the effort.  The initial
> quality of the docstring will be embarrassingly low.
>
> We can improve bad.  The hard step is ironically going from blank to
> bad.

Yeah. I'm not suggesting to block you on very detailed review like I'd
do if it was code. I just suspect that having a very high level look
to the stuff which is going in might help to improve quality quite a
bit without slowing you down too much...

One way to do it, without blocking you on reviews, would be that we
have a look to the documentation done so far and we post suggestions
to the list.

Marco