[sugar] Unannounced String Freeze break ??

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu
Sat Sep 20 16:13:35 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 2:42 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> While chewing through the translations on the final leg for 8.2, I
>>> noticed this commit in Sugar.
>>>

>>> http://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar;a=commitdiff;h=afaa5f77dd01948a27575602cf5c655d025990b9
>>>
>>> It adds five new strings to sugar, and the patch mentions it does not
>>> come in the way of string freeze :-S
>>>
>>> (http://dev.laptop.org/attachment/ticket/7480/updated-network-module-for-control-panel-v3.diff).
>>>
>>> I am a bit confused. This is definitely a break in string freeze, and
>>> yet, the patch mentions that string freeze is not affected. Was a
>>> string freeze break approval asked for in this case ?
>>
>> I think we approved this in IRC. The reason the patchs says that it
>> doesn't break the string freeze is that a previous version of the
>> patch was changing strings, while this one only adds them.
>
> Yeah the comment could have been clearer :/ Sorry, I will make sure to
> announce it properly next time.
>
> Best,
>   Simon

No problems. However, for the next release cycle, I'm setting up a
string freeze catcher bot, which will raise an alarm when string
freezes are broken. So be very afraid ;-).

Also, I'm sorry if my original mail sounded too harsh, I was quite
confused with the patch, especially the wording. Now that it is put in
context, everything is much clearer :-D.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta