[sugar] [Grassroots-l] G1G1 Pre-installed Activities Request for Help Testing

Walter Bender walter.bender
Sat Sep 20 12:46:15 EDT 2008

In fact, there is a great deal of data from the field in the form of
the activity packs that Peru, Uruguay, et al. developed. These
collections have been vetted and tested extensively and have a
built-in community of support. They are learning-centric collections,
but presumably, those G1G1 purchasers who are interested in other
pursuits will run Fedora/GNOME or XP.

-walter

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 5:33 PM, Seth Woodworth <seth at laptop.org> wrote:
>> What are your criteria?  Are you ranking things by supportability and size?
>> If so Ruler is a no-brainer.  It's 20kb and is unlikely to break easily.
>>
>> On the other hand SimCity is hard to make drastic changes and still be
>> called SimCity.  It's currently buggy and has no active maintainer.
>

> I am curious about the criteria as well. This thread is expressive of
> a select few who bothered to reply (self selection bias) and as you
> can see each list is myopic from the poster's point of view. I've seen
> a lot of younger kids like tamtam mini mostly because of the cow,
> sheep, cat dog, duck etc. This is my opinion only though. I'd love to
> see if there is any data from the field on this.
>
> Sameer
>
>> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Greg Smith <gregsmitholpc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for the input on which activities to ship!
>>>
>>> Here is the list of activities I will to management as my suggestion on
>>> what we ship.
>>>
>>> Please help test these! See the end of the e-mail for instructions.
>>>
>>> The list I recommend is essentially the G1G1 activities (kudos to the
>>> team who chose the first set!). In addition to those I list a few which
>>> got repeated votes (except Chess and Sudoku which are a concession to SJ
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Original G1G1 activities:
>>> Browse
>>> Read
>>> Write
>>> Paint
>>> Record
>>> TamTam Jam, Mini, on fence: Synthlab,  Edit,
>>> Chat
>>> Pippy
>>> Etoys
>>> Turtle Art
>>> Calculate
>>> Measure
>>> Distance
>>> Memorize
>>> Terminal
>>> Log
>>> Analyze
>>>
>>> New ones:
>>> Help
>>> Implode
>>> Speak
>>> Maze
>>> SimCity
>>> Scratch
>>> Xaos
>>> StarChart
>>> Moon
>>> GCompris Chess
>>> GCompris Sudoku
>>>
>>> The only significant change from the original G1G1 set is the TamTam. I
>>> think we should include 2 not 4 so as not to over weight them against
>>> other activities.
>>>
>>> Let me know if anyone has comments on that (Jean can you live with that?).
>>>
>>> Not all of these are sure to make it. On the other hand it's very
>>> unlikely that anything else will make it. So if you have an urgent
>>> request or a specific concern please speak up now.
>>>
>>> Of course, anyone can download additional activities so even if an
>>> activity is not on this list, it still attracts a lot of users.
>>>
>>> We need help testing these with the latest 8.2 image. We plan to make a
>>> release candidate today and if it passes smoke test we will add the
>>> activities and content to create a signed release candidate on Monday!
>>>
>>> Developers,
>>>
>>> Please reply with the final version and URL of each activity which we
>>> should include in the image. Each one must pass final test and have an
>>> active and reachable developer to make the final list.
>>>
>>> Morgan,
>>>
>>> can you make sure we have a contact e-mail and name on each of these?
>>> Also, let me know if you any of them are orphaned or not well maintained.
>>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Please test them all one more time let us know how it goes.
>>>
>>> I want to know if each of these passes the tests described here:
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Test_cases_8.2.0#Activities
>>>
>>> Please create a new test case for any activity that needs one.
>>>
>>> To do that, go to this page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Form:Test_case
>>> and entering Tests/Activities/nameofactivity to create a new test case.
>>> Then choose activity from the drop down and you can just paste in the
>>> steps test from above for a start.
>>>
>>> Then you can add a test result by clicking on the "+" sign next to the
>>> test case (it takes a little while for them to show up after creation).
>>>
>>> You can also e-mail comments or test results back to this list.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot for your help.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Greg S

Walter Bender