[sugar] Supporting desktop applications, extending the EWMH spec

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Fri Sep 19 15:43:02 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Marco Pesenti Gritti
<mpgritti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> suppose we could add a new hint for some activities indicating which
>> of their multiple windows (if any) should be the 'background' one
>> mapped full-screen, but I believe the existing hints are adequate.
>
> That's what the PRIMARY/APPLICATION was meant to be in my proposal...
> I'm not sure the existing hints are adeguate, but if there are window
> managers which manage to deal with the gimp correctly, then I guess
> there are at least ways to make reasonable guesses.

Well, if there's only one window, and it's "stretchable", then your
decision is easy.
If it requests a fixed size, then you should probably decorate and
float all the windows.  I could also see floating all fixed size
windows and tiling all "stretchable" windows -- that would make the
'gimp' work nicely; all the palettes would be floating and all the
drawings would be tiled.  And that's using only the "stretchable"
hint. =)

I'm not entirely opposed to adding new hints for oddball apps, but I'd
like 99% of apps to work as-is, and from my review of the wms out
there, it seems quite plausible that we can do this.

FWIW, the wm itself can add hints based on window class for outliers,
without requiring the outliers themselves to be changed.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )