[sugar] Unannounced String Freeze break ??

C. Scott Ananian cscott
Fri Sep 19 14:58:57 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a bit confused. This is definitely a break in string freeze, and
> yet, the patch mentions that string freeze is not affected. Was a
> string freeze break approval asked for in this case ?

I think the idea was that it only *added* strings and didn't *modify*
strings, so it shouldn't affect existing translations (we'd just have
a few more untranslated strings)?

But you're right, we should have an explicit 'strings signoff' step in
the process.  If nothing else, we should be justifying why we think
these strings "don't need to be translated".  We should probably have
a 'last minute change' process written up as well, so that we always
have (say) a specific one-week window at the end of the process for
"nothing but translation changes" to allow translators a shot (at
least) at catching up with the 'last minute' string changes.

I hope in the 9.1 timeframe to be able to distribute updates to
translations like activity updates are distributed, which ought to
ease the pain somewhat.
 --scott

--
 ( http://cscott.net/ )